Monday, October 23, 2017

Fall Flow





It's time for another swap...iHanna style!  Hanna's DIY Postcard Swaps always seem to happen right when I need inspiration and motivation.  This time,  I started on a big sheet of mixed media paper, got a few steps in, laying down some layers; and then I cut this up and started adding more layers and details.  So each card has a similar beginning, and some similarities along the way, but they all ended up being unique.  It was a fun way to work, because it added a random quality that helped me engage in the moment and work with what was right in front of me, instead of being focused on the end result.  This is always the most fulfilling way for me to work.  I really feel more in "flow" when I am responding to randomness and making little choices one at a time.


A base of collage in neutrals


Black and white paint, more high contrast collage pieces.


More black and white paint, transparent acrylics, pastel, and a "blob" pattern on top.



White wash over some areas to tone it down; then I cut it into 6 cards.


Each cut card got a last dose of collage (torn paper); and then I added some gold leaf.  This was the first time I've ever used gold leaf and it was a learning experience...a fast-drying adhesive is key!  I love the way it looks on the cards!  You can see the whole batch here on my flickr account.


I liked the muted simple abstract feel of this, so once I added the gold leaf, I left it alone



This one got the gold leaf and a lot more stuff!

Here are a few more finished cards:











Thanks for stopping by!
XO
Sarah













8 comments:

  1. Love how you make postcards my friend, these are like magic to me. Love all the mixed media layers.

    Thank you Sarah for joining the swap once again & sharing your creativity with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hanna! Thanks for your sweet comment. Your swap is the highlight of my life twice a year! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah! I received one of your cards in the mail yesterday and WOW is it beautiful. I LOVE the design details and the gold leaf is gorgeous! So fun to come here and read about your process. Receiving your beautifully crafted card was the highlight of my week!!

    Thank you so much!
    ~ Traycee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got it ...and quickly! Thank you for your sweet comment.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little slow responding. Received your pcard from iHanna's swap. Love the collage. Thank you, love getting real mail in my box instead of just ads. Always fun to see where the cards come from. Thanks, Cyndee Starr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it made its way to you, Cyndee! Thanks for stopping by to let me know! XO

      Delete
  5. Thank you for my postcard, it arrived to Norfolk, England safely :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear it got to you! Thanks for visiting to let me know! XO

      Delete